SERVES 4 PREP 15 MINS COOK 20 MINS
24 pieces chicken ribs, skin on
12 lemon wedges
3 tablespoons chicken stock powder
1 teaspoon of paprika powder
Vegetable oil, enough to fill the skillet 3/4 of the way
24 pieces of gerkins, sweet and tangy flavoured
Garlic Buttermilk Brine
2 lemon, juiced
7 garlic cloves, crushed
600ml of buttermilk
Salt & pepper to season
Chicken Dry Batter
3 cups of plain flour
2 cups of corn flour
2 cups of breadcrumbs
2 teaspoons of paprika
Salt & pepper to season
1. To prepare the fried chicken ribs, combine buttermilk brine ingredients in a large bowl and marinade the chicken ribs in the buttermilk brine for at least 4 hours or overnight in the fridge.
2. In a separate large bowl, combine all dry ingredients of the dry batter and set aside.
3. Once marinated, coat each chicken ribs in the dry batter, then dip again into the buttermilk mixture and double coat the chicken ribs in the dry batter. Place the chicken on an oven tray and let it to rest for about 15 minutes to make sure the dry batter coating the chicken dries and sticks to the chicken ribs. This helps create the crispy texture. Repeat the steps with the remaining chicken ribs.
4. Using Lodge Cast iron 3.2 quartz Combo Cooker (we used the shallow lid as a skillet to deep fry), preheat the skillet then add about ¾ of the depth with vegetable oil. Test to see if the oil is hot by dropping a pinch of the dry batter in the oil, it should sizzle and colour almost instantly. Slowly drop the chicken ribs into the skillet and make sure all sides are golden brown and crispy and the chicken ribs is cooked through. (this takes roughly ¾ minutes, depending on the size of the chicken)
5. Place chicken on a rack to let the excess oil drip and cools. Set aside.
6. In a separate bowl, place chicken stock powder and paprika powder. Coat the chicken this dry mixture and plate in a sharing plate. Serve with the lemon wedges and Gerkins.
SPECIAL!!!!! TO GET YOUR OWN LODGE CAST IRON RANGE
Tasia & Gracia 30% Discount code for the Lodge Cast Iron Range---> T&GXLODGE30 , which means in no time, you too, can try this recipe and much more at home. @lodge.australia #lodgeaustralia, #lodgepartner @lodgecastiron. [T&C: Discount Code Valid until End of March 2018]. For the full range of Lodge Products visit: https://lodgecookware.com.au/