COOK 45 MINS
- 500gr rump steak
- 20 pieces bamboo skewers, soaked in water for about 30 mins
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced
- Kecap Manis ABC (sweet soya sauce)
- Fried Shallots (can be purchased at Coles or any Asian grocery)
- Melted salted butter
- Vegetable oil
SPICE PASTE FOR BEEF:
- 3 shallots
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, lightly toasted
SWEET SOY DIPPING SAUCE:
- ½ cup sweet soy sauce (kecap manis ABC- brand)
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- ½ roasted candlenut, grated
- 5 bird eye chili, chopped
- A squeeze of lime juice
- ½ lemon juice
- white pepper
- 1 shreded kaffir lime leaf
ACHAR (Pickled Vegetables)
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, seeded, cubed
- 1 carrot, cut into julienne
- 2 long red chilies, seeded, thinly sliced
- To make the spice paste for the beef, blitz all ingredients in a food processor until it forms a smooth paste.
- In a large bowl combine spice paste, kaffir lime leaves, sweet soy sauce, pepper, salt and lime juice with the beef covered. (Marinade the beef for 10 or overnight if time permits)
- In a bowl, combine ½ cup of kecap manis and 3 tablespoon of melted butter and season with pepper, set aside.
- Thread 3-5 cubes of meat onto each skewer and grill the beef on a hot plate or grill pan, and brush the meat with the kecap manis and butter mix on both sides of the beef skewers. Once the skewers is cooked set aside and garnish with fried shallots.
- To make the sweet soy dipping sauce, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Add fresh lime and lemon juice and season with salt and white pepper.
- For the pickled vegetables, heat white vinegar and sugar in a small pot until it comes to a light boil and pour over the cucumber, carrot and chilies, the pickle is ready when the liquid comes to a room temperature.
- To serve, place skewers onto a plate with a side of sweet soy dipping sauce and achar vegetables.