SERVES 4 PREP 15 MINS COOK 55 MINS
2 big red chillies
6 bird eye chillies, adjust heat to your liking
1 large red onion
12 cloves garlic
8 dried chillies
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
3 tomatoes, diced
9 pieces of chicken drumsticks
400g tomato puree
1/2 cup tomato ketchup
3 tbsp tomato paste
1 stick cinnamon
6 cardamom seeds
1 tsp fennel powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 brown onion, sliced
Water (just enough to cover chicken)
Salt to season
Sugar (adjust to taste)
Vegetable oil to cook
Fresh coriander leaves, garnish
Kaffir Lime fruit, garnish
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Add 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil to a roasting pan.
- Place drumsticks to the pan. Using a knife, poke the chicken and season with salt and turmeric powder. Toss the chicken and bake in oven for 20 mins at 180 degrees.
- Using a food processor, add lemongrass, bird eye chillies, big red chillies, ginger, red onion, garlic and dried chillies. Blitz into a fine paste and set aside.
- Dice 3 tomatoes and set aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a frying pan, add blended spice paste and stir fry until fragrant. Add sliced brown onion and diced tomatoes and mix well.
- Add cinnamon stick, star anise, cardamom seeds, fennel powder and coriander powder. Remove chicken from oven and add to spice paste.
- Add tomato puree, tomato ketchup, tomato paste and water (enough to just cover chicken). Season with salt and sugar (adjust to preference).
- Mix well, bring it to boil and cover Let it simmer for an 40 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with steam jasmine rice and garnish with fresh coriander leaves and a squeeze of kaffir lime fruits