MAKES 12 PREP 15 MINS COOK 15 MINS
- 4 fresh corncobs
- 300grams raw banana prawns, peeled, tails removed
- 3 bunch finely chopped spring onions
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of plain flour (may need to add more until right consistency)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 Spanish onions (medium size)
- 3 garlic
- 2 red chillies
- 1 tablespoons coriander seeds
SPICY NUTTY SAUCE
- 1-cup peanuts, deep-fried
- 1 red chilli
- 2 bird eye chilies, adjust according to heat level
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 shallot
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of white vinegar
- 3 roasted candlenuts
- 1 ½ cup of water (check consistency)
- 2 squeeze of kaffir lime -juice
- 2 kaffir lime leaves for garnish
- Salt to taste
- Grind the shallots, garlic, chillies and coriander seeds in a mortar & pestle or blender to make a paste.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the kernels from the cob and place them in a large bowl. Then using mortar & pestle slightly crush the kernels.
- Add the crushed kernels, paste mixture, eggs, flours, and chopped spring onion and mix well. Season with salt and pepper and mix again. The mixture should be firm enough to hold it shape.
- Next heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Add spoonful of the corn mixture, gently spreading each one out with the back the spoon to make a roundish shape. Cook until golden brown. Drain excess oil using on kitchen paper and serve with peanut sauce.
- To make the spicy nutty sauce, fry peanuts with oil in a pan until golden and set aside.
- Place the remaining dry ingredients in a food processor and form a roughly smooth paste.
- Place the peanut mixture in a pot and add salt, sugar, water, vinegar and kaffir lime- juice, kaffir lime leaves and let the sauce simmer until a thick consistency and oil starts to appear. Remove from heat.
- To serve, place fritters onto a place top with coriander leaves and sliced chilli and serve with a side of spicy nutty sauce.