- ½cup glutinous black rice
- 2 tablesoon glutinious white rice
- 1 pandan leaf, tied in a loose knot
- 1 vanilla pod (or 2 teaspoon vanilla extract)
- 1teaspoon sea salt
- 200g palm sugar, gated
- Water, enough to cover and cook the rice.
- Toasted coconut to serve
- Sliced banana or mango to serve
SALTED COCONUT CREAM
- 400ml coconut milk, to serve
- Pinch of salt, to taste.
- Pandan leaf
- Soak the rice in a bowl of water for a minimum of 1 hour
- Place the rice and water into a large heavy-based saucepan and add extra water to cover the rice by approximately 10cm.
- Add the pandan leaf, vanilla pod and salt and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook uncovered until most of the water is absorbed or evaporated. The texture should be similar to soft brown rice.
- When the rice is cooked stir in the palm sugar and continue to simmer over low heat until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is thick and glossy.
- In the mean time, place the coconut milk and salt, pandan leaf into a small pot and bring to the boil. Set aside and chill in the refrigerator.
- To serve place the rice into bows and top each with chilled coconut milk. Add banana (or mango) and grated toasted coconut.
- When cooking the rice, you might need to top up the water during the cooking process.
- It will take at least 1hr for the rice to cook.